Wednesday, September 19, 2007

iPod Touch in the house!

I know I said I was going to wait but on Monday my wife called and said she just bought me the iPod Touch 16gb. The verdict? It's one sweet device. I love it. I can't put it down. Browse the web while sitting on the couch or in and around the office at work. I have to say that it is a "watered down version" of the web. No Flash support. Many sites don't display properly. You can only send plain text emails from Gmail. No blogging directly on Blogger.com. I had to send them to my blogger email address in plain text via Gmail. No support for Meebo.com for web chatting. You can't select text on a page or download images to the phone. On and on. But overall it's pretty slick as a browsing experience. My eyeballs did hurt by the end of the night from reading Engadget.com and Gizmodo.com on the tiny screen. Zooming via the pinching motion only helps to a certain extent and depends on the paragraph width. The lack of apps was disappointing but I'm counting on the hackers out there to unlock this and move apps from the iPhone over to the Touch. Syncing seems to happen at light speed. I put a bunch of my favorite music, some videos, lots of photos (including my portfolio) and only put about a 1gb dent in it so far. I plan to use a lot of smart playlists to manage content and stay within the 16gb. Especially once I start putting apps on it. There is one strange thing with Photos. I put a few high res photos in the sync folder and they made it to the Touch. But then when I zoom in on them they only go to a certain point. And the image seems to have a reticulation texture. I'm not sure if iTunes automatically resizes the images or what. It did create a new folder on my computer with lots of subfolders. I will have to check those to see if they contain resized images. All in all it's been a great experience so far. I haven't seen any of the poor black or negative effects on my screen. Although I would bet that the first software update will fix it for everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.